Saturday, September 26, 2009

Hot! Hot! Hot!

Montreal is one of those places that seeps rapidly into your veins intoxicating you with its quirky character, creative buzz and general chaos. I’m addicted already. Every day the city reveals a new facet of itself, sharing with me another secret… I think I'm here to stay. For now, anyway. And now that I'm getting more settled, I hope to devote more time to writing on this blog...

There is so much happening here in the way of theatre, music, art, film etc... It's been almost two months since I arrived here, and I'm only just beginning to scratch the surface of the landscape.

I found my way to a night of storytelling last week: DeAnne Smith’s monthly storytelling night Tale Spin at Le Cagibi (Mile End). With a slightly different spin to the usual comedy act, four local comic’s shared personal stories on the night’s topic: hot! hot! hot! And being comedians, the performers told their tales with the kind of flair and humour that only they can conjure.

It was a cozy relaxed evening where audience members lounged on couches sipping hot chai and coffee while comedian’s tattled their tales with style and pizazz…

The concept is a simple yet effective one, highlighting the importance of storytelling as a means for connection, entertainment and art making. The theme this month is Balls. Acts include Dan Bingham and Jess. If you’re up for a funny story or two, I highly recommend strolling along to Le Cagibi (5490 St. Laurent) Thursday 24 Sept at 8:30 p.m.

And speaking of hot: if you’ve never seen DeAnne perform make an effort to get to Theatre Ste. Catherine this Friday night. DeAnne is hosting a comedy/burlesque show featuring comics Melissa Morse and David Pryde (Comedy Now, Just for Laughs), stripper-types L. Diablo, The Fabulous Miss Vigneault, and Dom Castelli and the contortionist extraordinaire, MiMi! Doors open at 8pm. I’m heading there so join me for a beer after!

Oh and check out DeAnne’s blog here.

No comments: